Monday, August 3, 2009

Where I'm From

(click collage for larger view)


to the 2009 Teacher Consultants of NIWP


Where I’m From

I am from a circle of laptops,

from brewed coffee and a carton of half-and half,

I am from a pan of delicious flan.

(Golden, shimmery,

With a taste of caramel.)

I am from cherries, grapes, chocolate and

One large muffin

Whose evaluation I remember

As I designed an effective rubric.

I’m from a smart board and birdwalking,

from Marti and Lucy.

I’m from remarkable writers

And reflective bloggers,

From I’m Done ! And Cut the Deadwood !
I’m from “ Rodney replenished our souls

with a homemade grilled chicken lunch”

and a new chapbook we can read ourselves from Timothy.

I’m from Sangria and pizza and subway sandwiches,

Vitamin Water and Seattle’s Best.

From the eyesight lost by staring at the

small print on the articles

the eyesight I hope will return before school starts.

Inside my canvas bag is a 4 “ notebook

spilling Sommers, Dix, and Moffett,

A sea of warm smiles

to carry me back to my classroom.

I am from these last four weeks

filled with “Good Writing is Good Thinking”

Moving forward with my writing life.

By Christy Woolum

with thanks to

George Ella Lyon


Your energy, wisdom, and amazing writing was an inspiration. CW

2 comments:

  1. I have been walking around with a sense of loss...what a wonderful experience and privilege to be in the company of smart people and talented writers. I can't quite get back to my real life. I opened the chapbook the other night and was surprised by the wash of emotion as I read all of our pieces. I miss you all and think happy thoughts of our month spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! Thanks for posting that!!

    ReplyDelete